Monday, August 21, 2006

language barriers

Now, you might have thought living in a French speaking African country, foriegn languages would be your major source of language barriers. But no...the fun never ends when you're a Scot teaching African-american, dutch, swiss-american, more americans, and english children. Every day, I have to spell something to to the kids beginning with a, and every day they think i say e. It's just not funny any more. And after going over several times how a torch works, i was dismayed to still be received by blank faces till one voice says, "uh, aunt michelle, you mean a flashlight, right?" *sigh*

And Kat now uses the words bogging and craic at least once per conversation whether its appropriate or not...I think I may be being mocked...

4 Comments:

Blogger Dish said...

hahahaha you know you underestimate the addictive nature of your accent! I can't stop saying 'aye' which I didn't say much before and other such phrases, but then I have lived with you for almost a year!
Blog some more! Loving it!

11:23 pm

 
Blogger Kat said...

Dish, have heard lots about you, loving (all good, well funny! so don't worry!)

Loving life with your housemate out here. I'm totally with you on the whole accent/language thing, michelle thinks i rip it out of her when in fact im loving it! :)

Have fun

Kat (Michelles fellow Cameroonian friend)

1:32 pm

 
Blogger Dish said...

hello there Kat! Thanks for the comment acknowledgment :) Keep taking care of my good flatmate! I miss her lots!

12:55 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That happened to me! Started to think they had a 25 letter alphabet

2:16 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home